Using WhatsApp payment? Know issues, tips to avoid fraud while making payments – Details here
WhatsApp is the most commonly used application which can be found in almost everyone’s smartphone. Now people have also started using WhatsApp for making payments as well via WhatsApp payments.
WhatsApp payments uses UPI to enable bank-to-bank money transfers. UPI (Unified Payment Interface) is a national payment system developed by the NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India), and supports most major banks in India.
WhatsApp uses the phone number associated with your account to identify your bank account information.
Issues with payments
1. Contact has not received the payment: If the payment is complete, but your contact has not received the money, check that you have sent the payment to the correct contact.
2. Payment was not completed and refund was not received: If a payment was not completed, the app will notify you. The bank should process a refund in up to 4 business days. You are advised to check your bank account to know the status. In some cases, you may need to contact support from within the app. To contact support, tap the payment message > Help.
3. Unable to add bank account: If you are not able to find your bank in the list, make sure your bank supports UPI. If you are having issues adding your bank account, check your WhatsApp number and the phone number linked to your bank account is the same. If not, contact your bank.
4. Unable to send payment: You will not be able to send money if your contact does not have payments enabled. You will see the following pop-up message when trying to send them money: To receive a payment, [contact name] needs to set up payments in WhatsApp by tapping Settings > Payments.
Tips to avoid fraud:
1. Do not click on any unknown or suspicious links.
2. Accept a payment request only from trusted contacts.
3. If your phone is lost or stolen, inform your bank and contact WhatsApp by visiting whatsapp.com and select Get in touch.
4. If you receive a message that might be a scam, you can block the number and report it to the company. To do so, open the chat and tap Block > Report and Block.
5. Do not share OTP or financial information with anyone. You should never share your OTP or bank information with anyone as it can be misused.