Netflix has just introduced a mobile-only plan for India. This will cost just Rs 199 per month, which comes down to Rs 6.33 per day. This is Netflix’s cheapest plan, anywhere in the world, and India has become the 1st country to have
this mobile-only plan. This announcement was made by Netflix during an event called ‘Netflix House’ in New Delhi.
Mobile-only plan by Netflix:
- By paying Rs 199, Netflix users can stream content on mobile. Desktop/laptop access will be stopped
- This plan also covers tablets powered by Android and iOS
- Rs 199 mobile-only plan will only cover SD content, and HD content will not be accessed
- India is the first and only country to have this mobile-only plan from Netflix
- This is also Netflix’s cheapest plan, anywhere in the world
The announcement from Netflix comes after months of testing with select users in India and Malaysia. However, during the testing phase, the plan was priced at Rs. 250/month, not Rs. 199/month.
The reduction in price seems to suggest that Netflix plans to compete directly with other streaming giants operating in India, including Amazon Prime Video, ZEE5, and Disney-owned Hotstar – the market leader.
Netflix will continue with its ‘Basic’, ‘Standard’, and ‘Premium’ subscription tiers at Rs. 500, Rs. 650, and Rs. 800 per month, respectively.
The Basic plan offers access to SD content for a single screen but is not limited to mobile.
Meanwhile, the Standard and Premium plans offer HD streaming on up to two screens and HD/UHD streaming on up to four devices, respectively.