However, e-ticket cannot be cancelled after chart preparation for normal passenger.
IRCTC or Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation, which handles the catering, tourism and online ticketing operations of the Indian Railways, also offers the option of ticket cancellation via its official website- irctc.co.in or mobile app. After the confirmation of cancellation, the refund is credited back to the account used for booking of the ticket, according to IRCTC. However, e-ticket cannot be cancelled after chart preparation for normal passenger. In such a case, the passenger can use the online TDR (ticket deposit receipt) filing facility and track the status of refund, said IRCTC.
Here are key things to know about IRCTC ticket cancellation:
1. If a confirmed ticket is cancelled more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, the passenger is required pay certain charges. In such a case, the passenger needs to pay Rs. 240 (per passenger) for AC first class/executive class, Rs. 200 for AC 2 tier/first class, Rs. 180 for AC 3 tier/AC chair car/AC 3 economy, Rs. 120 for sleeper class, and Rs.60 for second class, according to IRCTC.
2. If a confirmed ticket is cancelled within 48 hours and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, a cancellation charge of 25 per cent of the fare subject to the minimum flat rate mentioned is levied, said IRCTC.
3. For less than 12 hours and up to four hours before the scheduled departure of the train up to chart preparation, whichever is earlier, 50 per cent of the fare is paid subject to the minimum cancellation charges, noted IRCTC.
4. No refund of fare shall be admissible on RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation) e-tickets in case the ticket is not cancelled or TDR is not filed online up to thirty minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.1
5. Also, no refund will be granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets. For contingent cancellation and waitlisted Tatkal ticket cancellations, charges will be deducted as per existing railway rules.